We invite you to participate in this exciting ACTHIV learning opportunity to help you become a more experienced provider of HIV care.
ACTHIV Clinical Care Preceptorships are for providers who wish to have an organized educational experience in an HIV primary care outpatient setting.
This special opportunity, which is supported by grants from Gilead Sciences and ViiV Healthcare, will include a high level of interaction with an experienced HIV care team in an outpatient clinic serving people living with HIV from diverse demographic groups.
Placements will take place in either Kansas City or San Francisco, and last approximately 3 days.
Your experience will include participation in ACTHIV learning modules coupled with direct clinic experience and opportunities to discuss application of learnings with preceptor and other members of the care team.
- Develop an appreciation for important principles, knowledge, attitudes and skills that are necessary to provide quality primary HIV health care services.
- Explore the application of concepts that are important to the practice of HIV primary care in an ambulatory setting
- Conduct patient chart reviews with an emphasis on HIV pertinent history.
- Observe patient interviews and physical examinations.
- Make recommendations to the care team regarding laboratory testing, medication prescribing, and follow-up for patients with HIV.
- Share up-to-date insights into the care and treatment of HIV-infected individuals.
- Serve as mentors and role models
- Devote time and energy to the education of learners
- Provide a learning environment that fosters professional growth as an HIV clinician, including access to ambulatory patients with HIV.
- Monitor learner’s progress and provide feedback.
- Review the end of rotation evaluation for each Learner.
Topics Which May Be Covered During the Preceptorship Include:
- History of HIV as well as current epidemiology and demographics
- HIV Treatment (for both treatment naïve and experienced patients)
- Common comorbid conditions
- Opportunistic Infections
- Hepatitis and HIV
- Aging with HIV
- Social determinants of poor outcomes of people living with HIV
- Strategies for engaging patients in care
- HIV Prevention
Fees and Logistics:
- There are no fees to participate in this learning experience.
- Participants are responsible for the costs of travel to and from the preceptorship site, as well as their meals and other incidentals.
- ACTHIV will provide a limited stipend for lodging at the ACTHIV selected hotel for the time of their preceptorship; participants are responsible for any costs in excess of this stipend or if they choose alternative accommodations.
- Learn more about the available Preceptorship Sites (PDF Download)
- See what past participants had to say about the experience (PDF Download)
The application period for the Clinical Care Preceptorships has concluded. Applicants will be notified soon if they have been selected for one of the limited number of available slots.
If additional slots become available, information will be sent out via email to ACTHIV’s mailing list. You can register to receive notifications about this and other ACTHIV educational opportunities on the home page – www.acthiv.org